The Daily Special - Transience Divine
The Daily Special|
Mountains have erupted, oceans dried, and rodent-like pincushions floated away since last I posted. I got back from Pennsic a week ago, and I'm leaving for Burning Man a week hence (just bought tickets!!!). There is too much; let me sum up.
- I got a contract gig at Harmonix, makers of Guitar Hero, doing cool speech- and audio-analysis for their new game, which looks *really* cool. If you're into that sort of thing. I'm working on-site, surrounded by some of most competent coders I've had the pleasure to work with, fed dinner nightly, and inundated with all the IBC soda I can eat. It's a really nice break from my normal free-wheeling lifestyle.
- I scrambled to put my swan ride and ugly duckling tunic (among other fowl things) in a row for Pennsic the week before leaving. Good times.
- Pennsic was glorious, and I fell in love with the SCA for the dozenth time. I had expected to tag on girlygothic's toga tails, but got so caught up in my own camp and dancing the week away that I only got to two big parties (Men without Pants and Ladies Night).
- I wrangled plans so I could attend the birthday party and vegetarian potluck of two of my most luscious and provocative friends, jdub0014 and andelsky. The associated Rocky after-party was perfect, the potluck was delicious, and the party sequel was the best time I've had in months.
- Since returning, I've been busy with friends about every night, with plenty more people to get together with on my todo list. Around the edges, I practiced my Napoleon Dynamite dance trixie (I didn't perform it as well as I practiced it, but it was fun learning the dance), and the Crim role.
- Now I'm scrambling to find my marbles for Burning Man.
I have some great musings to post, but I need to back at work at the crack of 10, and the traffic those four blocks can be grueling.
Current Music: None but the best, 'cause the man cannot rest, 'til he's finally beaten his me.
|Date:||August 23rd, 2007 02:36 pm (UTC)|| |
I didn't kn0w you went to Pennsic? I find it Amusing that though I haven't been in 10 years, at any given party I could know 6 groups of people, who don't all realize they know me. The social matrix of that war is dizzying.
I may have to go for a few days next year.
|Date:||August 23rd, 2007 04:27 pm (UTC)|| |
It's true. Pennsic is a hodge-podge of a million different "Pennsic"'s, so it can draw people for so many different reasons and from so many different groups. I hadn't gone in three years, and hemmed and hawed about going this year, but as soon as I got there I knew that my five days would be far too short a visit.
Oh, that just reminded me... At some point at Pennsic (I totally can't recall when - probably a party) I ran into a woman who seemed totally familiar to me, and me to her as well. Then she figured it out. It was your sister!
|Date:||August 23rd, 2007 03:07 pm (UTC)|| |
Not having been to Burning Man before, I'm a bit in the dark as to how I would plan to meet someone in all the mad chaos. I'm camping with Apocolypse How, part of the larger Boston village. You should come by and check out our Hammock Tree (Not having been in Boston, I haven't actually seen it.), and maybe we can figure out a way to be in the same place at the same time. With whom are you camping?
|Date:||August 24th, 2007 05:35 am (UTC)|| |
I'm with Laplactipus (not sure about the spelling), and I'm not sure what tribe that's part of. I'll definitely come by Apocolypse Now, and I'll leave you a note if you're not around. I'm not arriving until Wednesday night or Thursday, though.
I'm so excited! It's going to be great!
|Date:||August 24th, 2007 02:09 pm (UTC)|| |
Ah, OK. That puts you within 100m of us.
|Date:||August 23rd, 2007 04:19 pm (UTC)|| |
At Burning Man: if you come across an orthodox jewish guy, about your height, slightly receding hairline, either taking lots of pictures or film (16mm), tripping his balls off on liquid acid and his name is David Cohen...that's my cousin. say hi :)
he's been trying to get me to go for the last 3 years. alas, i can't afford it. have a great time! i'm very jealous!!!!
|Date:||August 23rd, 2007 05:33 pm (UTC)|| |
Hehe, I'll keep an eye out! I just saw today that Burning Man (Black Rock City) is about the size of Watertown-- and there are 5 David Cohen's in Watertown. So, I plan on wandering around a lot and meeting an awful lot of people, but we'll see about your cousin. Some time when I'm tripping there, I'll put out a collect call on the collective consciousness for him and we'll see what happens!